Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Reading Notes: Jataka Tales, Part A

These are from the Jakata Tales by Ellen C. Babbitt

How the Turtle Save His Own Life: I liked this story because the turtle is portrayed as a clever animal. I have not read many stories about turtles, but I liked that in this story he was portrayed positively. In this story, there is a father who wishes for his children to murder this turtle. The turtle begs the boys not to throw him into the river. In reality, the turtle knows that the water is a safe place for him so he is tricking the boys. Once in the river again, he is safe!

The Turtle Who Couldn't Stop Talking: I have read different versions of this type of story in the past. Basically, the turtle wants some birds to take him on their journey. They carry a stick while he holds onto it with his mouth. He is warned not to talk, but does so anyways. This causes him fall from the air to his death. The moral is for those who cannot stop talking to keep their mouths shut, or they will be punished. I think it is an interesting message and one I do not think is always applicable. I decided to do notes on it because it showed a different message and portrayed turtles in a different light than the previous story I talked about.


No comments:

Post a Comment