Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Reading Notes: English Fairy Tales, Part B

These are from English Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs

Mr. Miacca: I liked this story because it reminded me of Hansel and Gretel. A little boy leaves his house, even though his mother tells him not to, and gets captured by Mr. Miacca who wants to eat him. The boy tricks Mr. and Mrs. Miacca and escapes only to get caught again when he sneaks out of his house. He figures out a way to escape and is good after this and does not leave his house. I thought it was an interesting story and I thought it was funny that there are stories in many cultures about little children getting cooked for supper.

Fairy Ointment: Dame Goody is a nurse who takes care of babies and sick people. A man comes to her one night saying that his wife needs her help. She came and helped this family and rubbed oil on the baby's eyes. This turned them all into fairies. The family paid Dame Goody more than ever before in her life. This story caught my attention because I have not read anything with pixies in it before. It was very different from many other stories I have read in the past so I really liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment